Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bookstore Bliss

Bookstores always have a calming, happy feel to them. I know the ins and outs of each store whether used, new, local or chain. I weigh the pros and cons of the memberships of the main stores. Some people are shopaholics, go nuts and spend tons on designer clothes, shoes, accessories. All rules and budget ideas go out the window in the bookstore, especially if there's a good variety in the clearance section. Also, just simply being in a bookstore helps cure the blues and make you forget about life. It's a whole different world in the bookstore--each has their own ambiance. I bought the beautiful leather collector's edition of Wicked and Son of Witch (combined in one) for only $19.98.

I found a really great book which I didn't purchase, but am planning to. It's called More than Heaving Bosoms; it's all about the genre of romance novels and why women love them. I read bits and pieces in the store. It's so funny and doesn't make me feel guilty for wanting to read trashy romance novels or at least the smutty parts. One of the cool things discussed in the book is the transition in plot formulas from the 70s-80s to the 90s-2000s. The writers also have a blog called Smart Bitches, Trashy Books.

Other books of note: 500 Manga Heroes and Villians and The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane--the latter is recommended by Barnes and Noble and sounds really fascinating.

My other aunt from California is flying in tomorrow. It's becoming easier to forget somebody who really wasn't part of our family to begin with. My mom's biggest worries about the debt left behind have been eased; she's not responsible--thanks goodness. It's been the three of us for so long, and it's not hard to go back to it. I think it was the trauma of the event that made us all feel so horrible and sad. This is the last I'm talking/thinking about it today. No more. Hopefully, soon, I'll get to the point where I don't think about it at all.

Going back to watching the Starter Wife--I'm hooked. My sister and I rented it from the library and been watching non-stop.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone else has an affinity for trashy romance novels as well! Much love and many hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ya doing? I need more blog updates!

    ReplyDelete